Thursday, September 15, 2005

Welcome to my Japan Blogg

Hi All,
Welcome to my blogg (finally). This entry will be quite big as it will contain all the photos I've been promising.

This the view out of my apartment building. The red building in the distance is Yukuhashi City Hall which is where I work when I'm not at school. It takes about 3 minutes "flat chat" on my bike. Yes, old habits die hard.
The next photo is of a house on the outskirts of Yukuhashi City. It is surrounded by rice fields. I still can't get over how green it is. These are the local shirashi and kune (duck) that are always on the river that runs past my house.
Below is my best effort at a professional photo of two ducks!












7/8 Japanese drum
concert. This was a really interesting event. I'd recommend it to anyone.














This is my local train station and my portal for getting anwhere in Japan. Out the front of the station is this unusual shark fin thing. Who know's why?! The train system is amazing. If the train is supposed to be there at 5:43. That's is when it arrives! It leaves Sydney for dead.









This was my best attempt of severe sunburn! Yep... watch and T-shirt mark. Believe it or not I tanned so I still have these beautiful markings.
The second photo is of my ice-wrapped arms, held on with my bindings. I knew they'd be useful!









13-14/8 Ajimu. Ajimu is a countryside town where Chris' (AUS) lives. The first photo is of 1 out 2 waterfall in Ajimu. The next few photos are of a tunnel system the monks carved out by hand called Heaven and Hell. You have to crouch around the tunnels of Hell and then climp up a vertical shaft to reach Heaven (last photo). The tunnel system has many statues in them and Klint (AUS) tried his best to fit into hell with his scary face. Before entering the caves we were met my a native Japanese...... snake (left). He wasn't happy that we woke him up. For dinner Chris' work had arranged a dinner for us. The restaurant opened just for us. Once we had finished our meal the hosts sat down and drank with us. Communication was very slow but very amusing. I was introduced to Shochu, the Japanese vodka equivalent. The first drink was fantastic but the second was...umm...like drinking 50 lemons in a glass. This was because our host by this time was legless. It was a very funny night but the guys got a bigger kick out of it as i had to finish this potent drink.
The following day we went to Ajimu's other waterfall where we swam. Being unprepared I resorted to swimming in my pajamas! The other photos are of views as we came back down from the waterfalls.






18/8 Yukuhashi Festival.
This festival is held once a year and to my understanding is held for all the spirits of the people who have died in the last year to come back one last time to visit before they 'pass over'. It is a festival where they do traditional dance, have food and fun stalls and hanabi (fireworks). This was my first occasion for wearing a Yukata (Summer Kimono). The festival was quite fun and my and Chris (ENG) dancing ability gave much amusement to the Japanese people. I have mentioned previously about being famous here, i.e. being in the papers and newsletter, well at this festival they made an announcement over the loud speaker that Chris and I were there. Thank you, thank you very much. The first photo is of me, Yuki and Airi, Yuki's daughter. Yuki is my supervisor, but is more a friends. This friday we are having a drinking party in Kokura!












20/8 Fukuoka City.
Helen (Aus) and I explored our prefecture's (state's) capital city. We visited many shrines and temples and it rained pretty much the whole time. Woohoo! I have many pictures but my favourite place would have to be SHOFUKU-JI ZEN TEMPLE. It was very beautiful and was lucky enough to photograph this turtle.
















27/8 Yukuhashi Summer Festival. There were many stalls set along the river and also a fair few entertainment stages. There was a parade of lantan mountains (centre) at night which were quite amazing at night. Unfortunately my photos did not turn out well. At night there was a fantatic hanabi display.




























Just interrupting my weekend photos... I'll introduce some of my English speaking friends. From the back, Ria (New Zealunder), Lisa (Hawaiin), Chris (Englishman), Helen (AUS) and Taokama (Ria's son, NZ). I walk with Ria and Lisa in the mornings (mostly). They work at two of the senior-high schools in Yukuhashi City. Chris is the CIR, Co-ordinator of International Relations in Yukuhashi. Helen, is an ALT in Nogata Senior high school. Taokama goes to kindergarten and knows more Japanese than me.

3-4/9 Kumamoto. I stayed with the Kimiko and Mitsuru Furukawa (Tomo's parents). They were so friendly and very generous. Kimiko (pictured left) took me to the main sights of Kumamoto and also to Mt. Aso an active volcano which is situated in the centre of the world's biggest crater. The volcano was an amazing sight and Kimiko informed me that there was quite alot of 'smoke' compared to normal. The smell wasn't as bad as I thought which was a bonus. We also visited the Suizenji Park which was built by instruction of one of the lords. It contains replicas of famous places around Japan, even a miniature Mt. Fuji. The building (pictured right) is a tea ceremony building where Kimiko and I had traditional tea. Oishi kata!




















These pictures of Kumamoto Castle. The centre picture is an example of the tactics used by the samurai against the enemy. The sloped floor was used so when the enemy would run down the hall they would trip over. Currently they are rebuilding the structures that were destroyed during the war between the new government and the samurai. The war lasted 50 days which was amazing considering is was gun against sword, the samurai never surrendered. We also visited the mansion Lord of the Hosokawa-Gyobu Clan (pictured left). 900m^2!


















6/9 Typhoon 14.
This is the river outside my place. The path I run and walk was well underwater. The river rose about 1.5 metres (maybe more) in 8 hours. Yukuhashi City was not badly hit unlike other areas on Kyushu. You probably saw the news!









10/9 Beppu Karate Tornament. I have recently joined a karate club and was invited by the sensei to come to this tornament. These kids are SO tough. Full contact IS full contact. The left most picture is of the 6y/o old division. Yes, 6y/o. The next is of the 15 y/o division. Before the finals there was a demonstration. This guy broke a ceramic pipe with his hand, then his leg and THEN he bent a metal pole witha kick. CRAZY! The last picture is of my sensei and students which gained prizes at the tornament. After the tornament we went to an onsen and the to kaiten sushi (sushi-go-round). The onsen was really good, and for obvious reason there are no photos. I am going to be a frequent visitor of onsens. Kaiten sushi was great but being there with my sensei he got me to eat everything and when I said I was full he just said I'd be strong for training the next day, so EAT!







We have reached present time so you are now up to date with photos. From now on the entries will be more brief. Please tune in next week for Okayama adventures.

1 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Chris Powell said...

Hey - Cool Photos. Im gonna be stealing alot of those Ajimu ones hope u dont mind. And feel free tot take whatever ones from mine u want. I know the Buddha one is a favourite.

Talk soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Counters