Saturday, November 12, 2005

Izumi township Bunkasai

12/11 Izumi township bunkasai. Steve, Nao and Nao's mother took me to this bunkasai mainly for the tea cermony. The tea ceremony was organised by Nao's tea ceremony teacher. It was very interesting to see the precise movements and care taken to perform this tradition. I am sure I would break something if given a chance. Luckily we were seated on chairs. not the traditional "sitting on your knees" as I am sure my legs would have fallen off. Because I was the foreigner, they even gave me a second 'tea'. The green tea used in these ceremonies is thicker and stronger than 'normal' green tea. There was a small display of Japanese art. Japanese art is very beautiful and unique. Nao's mother learns this kind of painting. The first picture is of some men making a basket from vine (??) ... unfortunately it was sold when we returned to have another look at it. There were stalls of fresh vegetables and Nao's mother bought me some vegetables even though I had just met her. Japanese people are so lovely. One funny thing was some Japanese ladies commented how nice it was of me to teach Steve English. We had a bit of a laugh about it. Steve from Hawai, I think it was his great grandparents that came from Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Counters