Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Kyoto in Autumn

26-27/11 Kyoto. I set out on Friday night and caught the Meimon Ferry to Osaka. The ferry took 12 hours from Kitakyushu to Osaka but it is a very cheap way of getting to Kyoto. From Osaka I caught trains to Kyoto. Kyoto was madness, there were so many people there but there is enough public transport to get everyone around. First I went to Kinkakuji Temple, the golden temple. It is very spectacular. Afterwards I went to Ginkakuji Temple, which is the silver temple (it's the brown/wooden one in the photo). The intention was to make it silver but it never got that far. By this time it was getting dark so I met up with Lisa and some of her Hawaiin ALT friends. They were really nice and let me stay. The following dayI went to Ejo Castle and Kiyomizudera. Ejo Castle is very different from the typical Japanese castle as there is only one floor. It is famous for its nightingale floor. Apparently you cannot walk up the castle hallway without the floor boards squeaking. This was a defence used to alarm the samarai when the enemy had entered the castle. I did not go in as I hope to return with Mum, Jetty, Poppy and Melva when they visit in April. I went to Kiyomizudera and it was very crouded. It is one of the most famous temples in Japan. If you want luck, this is the place to go. Kyoto was very spectacular with the Autumn leaves. There are so many places to see in Kyoto. This is a place I definately recommend. The only advice is: If you are going in a busy time, Autumn or Spring, be prepared for crowds and be especially wary of the older Japanese ladies as they will push and elbow their way to a vantage point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Counters